Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 8 – Men’s Back Health through Yoga

No, I’m not a man. I’m just a woman with a sore back. So today I decided to use my husband’s only workout DVD – Men’s Back Health through Yoga, which he bought a couple of years ago when he took a class with the same name. My husband’s back has been made stronger by using this DVD, in addition to swimming regularly with the Masters Swimming program. I figured if it helps him, maybe it will help me (Yoga, not swimming. Can’t swim in the family room).

Getting up was hard today. I went to bed too late, after a fun night of scrapbooking with my friends. And I ate too much for dinner last night, so I feel like the Michelin man this morning (oh no, I notice a pattern here – men’s back health yoga, Michelin man references… eeeek!).

The great thing about exercising every morning is that when I feel I’ve blown it with eating, I get a clean slate at 6am the next day. If I didn’t get up to exercise this morning, I would have beaten myself up all day for last night’s big burrito dinner. But it is 7:00am now, just a mere 13 hours after said pig out and guess what? I feel on track again! 

My workout: Men’s Back Health Through Yoga (Loredana Yoga)

What I liked:
1. It worked! I started the morning with a sore back and it feels better.
2. The moves were simple but effective; I didn’t feel like a human pretzel
3. She said “foot crotch” a couple times. Who wouldn’t like that?!

What I didn’t like:
1. I’m really not good at critiquing. The only thing I can say is that it’s hard for me to think of yoga as a “workout”. It’s a great stretch, for sure. But I’m used to thinking a workout means breaking a sweat and burning lots of calories. But, I am really trying to approach fitness differently and recognize that flexibility and inner strength is equally as important as the ability to run 12 miles.

"You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight." Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment