Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 14 – Shimmy (belly dancing)

A couple years ago, I paid careful attention to my life and tried to get in a place of “thriving”, instead of just surviving. I started collecting quotes and bible verses and I started journaling and listing big “aha” moments in my “life lessons” list. After a few years of truly thriving, I’m back at that boring place of surviving; eager to find my way back to thriving. So I went thru my old list today and though they were all still very relevant to my livelihood, I found one that spoke to me more than others. Below is #33 from my old life lessons list.

Life lesson #33: I have learned that tracking my points, or staying within reasonable eating parameters, isn’t just to be thin. The benefits far exceed the vanity of looking good. When I’m on track with my diet, I feel in control of something, which helps me gain control in other areas of my life. Also, eating healthy makes me feel great. My body needs the nutrients and it’s getting them. Sometimes I allow myself to get off track of my eating, for a few days. At the time, I think, “I don’t really care about being thin. I just want to be a good person". At those times, I feel like I’m giving myself a little gift that I deserve. Or like I’m all deep because I don’t value myself on my weight. But the truth is, it’s not a gift at all (unless I call it a gift of complacency). It’s really just giving me disorganization, discomfort and poor self esteem. That’s not much of a gift! The truth is, staying on track makes me a better person more than binging does. I’m nicer to others when I take care of myself. I also feel less like I have ADD when I’m within boundaries.

Thriving, to me, means being conscious and honest in your life for the benefit of God, other people and your whole self (body, mind, spirit).

My Workout: Shimmy - FitTV

What I liked:
1. Belly dancing is a neat way of exercising
2. I was excited to try something different
3. Belly dancing seems like the kind of thing that can loosen me up, emotionally and physically

What I didn’t like:
1. It really wasn’t a workout.

“We are not born all at once, but by bits. The body first, and the spirit later” -Mary Antin

No comments:

Post a Comment