Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 15: - Tae Bo Turbo Charged Fat Burner

I am having a little problem with my new exercise plan (aka 100 Day Challenge). The idea of getting my exercise done early in the morning seems like a perfect plan. But what I didn’t account for was the fact that my best workouts are typically charged by stress or excess energy, neither of which I have early in the morning. My low energy is resulting in a half-assed morning workout. Then later in the day, when my energy is high and my stress is even higher, I could really use the release from exercise.

When I started this challenge, I told myself that instead of giving up when it got hard, I would tweak things here and there to make it work. I said that if I want it bad enough, I need to be willing to try what it takes. So I made a little tweak. Yesterday at 4pm, when my kids were driving me crazy with whining and fighting, I fought back the urge to scream and yell and instead popped in my Tae Bo DVD. Yes, I did this workout both yesterday and today. I’m happy to report that the workout did exactly what I had hoped. I was FULL of energy and worked out as hard as I possibly could. Afterwards, I felt FANTASTIC. My stress was relieved and I was once again a nice mommy.

This was promising to me. Lately I’ve been a different person. Whereas I thought I’d be all sweet and happy because I was accomplishing something with my workout challenge, I have felt on the verge of a breakdown. What I realize is that I am a bit addicted to the exercise high I feel after a really good, sweaty workout. I am having withdrawals. Maybe it’s not good to be addicted to exercise. But it beats some other things and if it makes me a better mom, I’ll take it.

So going forward, I’m going to listen to my body. If I’m feeling mellow in the morning, I’ll keep my workout mellow – doing yoga, Pilates or something similar. And if I’m feeling stressed out and pumped up with emotion, I’ll do an intense, sweat inducing workout video later in the day. I’ll still keep my standing 6am date with my DVD player, but I am not limiting myself to the one block of time. And it might mean repeating some of my workouts, since there are only so many workouts to choose from.

I’ve also got a fresh 12 week Weight Watchers journal and am excited about following the plan again. Stay tuned for weekly results!

My Workout: Tae Bo Turbo Charged Fat Burner

What I liked:
1. The Billy Bo workouts are by far my favorites. After this challenge is up, I’ll likely stick to Tae Bo most days.
2. He’s so energetic and positive. He’s constantly shouting out words of praise.
3. The workout is intense and manages to get my heart rate up without hurting my knees.

What I didn’t like:
1. He used a bar that he called an amplifier. I did it without one and it worked fine. But he mentioned that it’s the “key” to a killer workout. I might have to go get one. Once I have it, it will switch from a negative to a positive. 

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work” -Thomas Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment